Monday, October 4, 2010

In General lets talk about Conference

This past weekend = General Conference.

Due to my new job, Lance and I were unable to go to Idaho (his Grandparent's farm) for the weekend.  He was pretty bummed, but I think the weekend turned out better than expected.  I worked my long shift for Saturday, but I was able to watch the majority of the morning session with my residents.  I sat next to a man who is a retired plastic surgeon, as well as a previous singer in the Mormon Tabernacle!  His attentiveness (even though he had Alzheimers) proved to me the power of enduring to the end.  We enjoyed the words which were spoken, and I was so grateful to be able to go home and watch the afternoon session we had recorded on our DVR. Saturday Afternoon Session, I loved Elder Cong's talk about looking through the mirrors in the temple and seeing himself as a son, grandson, great-grandson as well as a father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. The significance and influence one convert has on their posterity is truly infinite.  I kept thinking of when Lance and I got married and the opportunity we are giving our future family because of our sealing for time and eternity!  How amazing is that!

Overall, I thought a major theme to the conference was #1 listen to the prophet.  Many speakers hit on this specific topic.  Two even quoted the 14 Fundamentals of a Prophet talk, which was the same talk I researched for my own talk I gave the week before conference.  These principles are extremely important, and I have a feeling as if in the sessions to come, the Prophet will ask of us, guide us, and inform us to do things that we might otherwise find different, but we have been instructed repeatedly to listen and follow.   And the other lesson from conference which stuck out in my mind was #2 not turning our virtues into vices.  Not excessively doing something, and not falling into an addiction.  To let our good qualities and characteristics show, but never being excessive or being too much of one thing.  This I found super interesting since there is a book I purchased a year ago entitled Extremes.  I read the first chapter and then got caught up in my studies, only to pick it back up a month ago and begin reading it again.  It gives wonderful examples of how to be champions, while still remaining humble.  Conference always makes me think of the areas in my life which need a little improving.  It motivates me to be a better person, and strive to be as Christ like as possible.  I love the opportunity we are given to hear inspired words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to leave a comment.