Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Espana

Last night I was surfing the web and looking at restaurants within the Salt Lake valley.  I stumbled upon Cafe Madrid and was rather intrigued, so I looked at their menu.  Top of the list was tapas- in particular Tortilla Espanola.  I was in utter shock when I saw they were charging 22 dollars an order!!  After drooling over just the thought of being able to eat them, I then began to research a recipe for a Spanish Tortilla.  

Let me back up a bit for those of you who have never eaten a Spanish Tortilla.  It isn't a piece of corn or flour, but more of an omelet.  It's traditionally eggs, potatoes, and onion chopped up and fried to make almost a pie shape.  

So I went to the grocery store and purchased the ingredients (yes just a potato and an onion since I had everything else) and came home and began chopping them up into little pieces.  I placed them into hot oil and began frying them until they were golden brown.  I then strained them and began to whisk a few eggs and then placed them all together in a different (smaller) pan.  

One tricky thing is you have to flip the tortilla while the top is still raw egg so you have to use a plate to cover the top and flip it without spilling the egg everywhere! 

and ah ha!!! HERE's my tortilla espanola!!!!



Making this tortilla today has reminded me of my amazing trip to Spain in the summer of 2007.  Seeing all the wonderful sites and wonderful food.  The people.  The language.  The people I took the trip with.  Overall, amazing. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, that does look delicious! I will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to leave a comment.