Monday, October 28, 2013

Bennett Nicholas

 
39 weeks 4 days. 24 hours before you were born. 

We had a plan. I love plans. I was suppose to call my doctor on Monday to set up a time to get checked in his office to decide if I was going to be admitted that night or the following morning for a scheduled induction. Regardless, you were supposed to enter the world on Tuesday the 22nd of October. Monday night your dad and I planned on writing letters to you to express how excited we were to get to meet you. That was the plan. You, Bennett Nicholas had a plan of your own.

Monday morning at 2:30am I awoke to a super strong contraction. I had never had one so strong, but I figured since it wasn't very painful it wasn't a real contraction. I drank some water and laid on my side but then a while later a 2nd contraction came. I decided to time my contractions and over the next hour they were 10 minutes apart. During this time I looked up the surgery schedule to see what time my doctor would be in the OR. He only had one case scheduled for 7:30am. I knew if I could hold off for a little while longer my doctor would be at the hospital and possibly admit me anyways. 
At 3:30 I decided to get up at go downstairs thinking some movement and water would stop these nasty contractions, but boy was I wrong. The contractions jumped from 10 minutes apart to 5 minutes as I frantically began cleaning the house knowing that if I was in labor I couldn't come home to a dirty house.  Dishes were done, kitchen was cleaned, last minute items placed in my hospital bag... Then I decided to carry the vacuum back upstairs to its rightful home. Lance, thinking I was asleep, awoke to his crazy wife carrying the vacuum at 4am. I told him I was contracting but wasn't sure if it was the real deal and for him to go back to sleep. Even with contractions as close as every 3 minutes I jumped in the shower before heading out the door to the hospital. 

We called Lances mom and told her I was contracting and we'd be at her house in a few minutes with our dogs. After dropping them off we headed towards Alta View hospital, stopping for McDolands breakfast on the way because I knew they wouldn't feed me until after delivery :). So there I was contracting every 3-5 minutes in the car cringing while trying to eat my hot cakes. 

At 5:50 we arrived at the hospital to get checked in. My first check was at 6:30 and I had progressed to a 2 1/2cm and 80-90% effaced. I then waited until 7:40 to find out if Dr. Later would be admitting me. My contractions consumed my body as I tried to breathe through each one hoping at any point I would be able to receive an epidural. Finally at 8:40 my blood work had come back and the anestesiologist came in to place my epidural. I had seen many epidurals been placed but actually feeling one was so different.  They placed the pulse ox on my finger but in me trying to releave the pain I was squeezing my own hand so hard I cut the circulation off to that finger and alarms started to ding away. Once the epidural kicked in it was then time to place my catheter and my next check (9:15am) showed I was a 3+ and 90%. At 9:35 Dr. Later came in broke my water and placed an internal fetal monitor because your heart rate kept dropping into to 100-119. At that same time Dr. Later indicated I was a 4cm and 90% and that he anticipated a baby to be born between 12-2pm. An hour later at 10:45am Dr. Later came in, checked me and nonchalantly said, "9cm 3+ station."  
I was in SHOCK and responded with, "no you're joking"  and he replied with, "I don't joke about thing like this... I'll go tell them to set up the room.  We're gonna have a baby!" 
My nurse then came running in asking if it was true because she was also in disbelief that I had progressed so quickly. The tech came in, set up the room and at 11:20 we began pushing. With each contraction I was completely exhausted as I tried to push. I guzzled ice chips and water between each one trying to rehydrate before I was completely winded again. I even said, "I've seen tons of women push and it never looked tiring, but holy crap this is exhausting!" Finally at 11:50, after 20 minutes of pushing you entered the world with the cord wrapped around your little neck twice. Apgars of 8 and 9 respectively-points off for color. 
It was honestly such a surreal feeling watching you and holding you as they cleaned you off. I couldn't even believe that 1, you fit inside of me, and 2 that you were finally here! 
Your little lips and mouth, and above your nose was bruised from the trauma of birth, but you latched like a champ from the beginning and have been doing so amazing ever since. 




meeting new friends:















Overall I am just in awe that I get to call you mine.  That your precious little spirit has been sent to me and granted me the privileged of being your mother. I have been told so many times how a mothers love is undeniably strong, and after looking at your sweet little nose and perfect little hands and feet that you are indeed the love of my life. My heart melts each and every time I see your father interact with you. He truly does love you and is so excited to watch you grow. I hope that as you grow you always know how much I love you and how grateful I am to have been given the gift of being a mother. I love you to the moon and look forward to watching you grow and develop to learn and love. 

-love mom. 

3 comments:

  1. What a miracle! I am so happy for your family! I love his name and I loved hearing your story. Such a special time and I thank you for reminding me of how close we can be to heaven. Get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you cousin. God bless! A mother's love for their son is unexplainable. Let the fun begin xoxo all our love. Justine & family

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I'm so glad he's here and that we get to be part of his life. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to leave a comment.