Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Run.Goal.Swim.Sleep.

So two weekend ago lance and I signed up to run in the Farmington Festival Days 10k. I partly signed us up to motivate me to get in shape and run and partly because I have never run a 10k (except Ragnar Relay). The two weeks before the run I tried training by running every other day, but the farthest I could run was only 3.2 miles! I wasn't sure if I would be able to run the entire 6.2 without stopping or even at all. Lance said "dont worry, anyone can run 6 miles...." I slightly wanted to punch him because that is such a big fat lie. Not ANYONE can just go out and run 6 miles. He is CRAZY. We got to Farmington and half way to the start line I realized I left my racing bib in the car. So I ran back with just enough time to grab the bib and use the port-a-potty before the race started. For the first mile I kept wondering why SOOO many people were passing me. Was I running that slow? 9:45 pace. I felt okay about it so I kept cruising at my same pace and eventually learned that all the people soaring past me were all running the 5k and not the 10k.
At about mile 3.5 (which was mile 2 for the 5k people) this lady came along side me and said in a chipper voice "isn't this a lovely run".... Wtf. Why are you talking to me during a race? Sure it's a lovely run for you. You are almost finished, I however still have another 3 miles to go!
The last 2 miles took us on the back ride of Lagoon where a deer came charging at the fence close to the path as I ran past. My shuffle on my iPhone came in handy and some upbeat songs really motivated me to keep going. The last half mile was up a hill that felt monstrous for the end of a 6 mile run. I was able to finish by speeding past two people just shy of the finish line. I finished 7.2 miles in one hour and seven minutes. It was definitely motivation to try and beat a friends time of 1 hour 4 min that had me pumping my arms and legs up that last hill. Sadly I didnt beat her time, but maybe I would have if that hill wouldn't have been there. Maybe next 10k.

We finished up with a breakfast and headed home for a shower and nap. We woke up after 30 minutes and headed across town to lances cousins soccer game. The 9 year olds battled it out and with 10 minutes left in the game we scored two goals and won with a score of 2-1. I've never seen lance so excited over soccer. He picked me up and spun me around like a rag doll.

After the game we headed home so lance could mow the lawn (which he obsessively does twice per week) then headed to Seven Peaks Salt Lake where we enjoyed 5 fun hours swimming. It was overcast and rainy when we got there but all of a sudden when they kicked all the non-jet blue people out it became sunny and a beautiful day. It wasn't very warm but luckily the water was nice.

So exhausted from such an active day we went home, showered and crawled into bed at 8:30. We are getting old!

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud when you thought wtf after her lovely comment to you :) haha. I am another firm believer that not everyone can run. I survived a 5k. Ug. My brother in law did a 100 mile race in like 23 hours. Gross! Get a life!

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to leave a comment.