Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spr-ummer Break

Here's a better picture
The one pro as well as con to nursing school is how compact it is. Only 5 consecutive semesters and boom there's your RN license.  However, these 5 consecutive semesters don't give your mind the much needed BREAKS that traditional school would provide.  Our school thought they were thoughtful by giving us a 1 week spr-ummer break (the week between spring term and summer term not to be confused with spring break or summer break).  So naturally I had planned a relaxing trip to California with tons of shopping, tanning, and beaching.  I even scheduled myself at work so I could have 6 consecutive days off, but with the increases in plane tickets I figured I would just stay home and do what I do best... Do-It-Yourself Home Projects.   Many of you remember LAST summer when I destroyed and remodeled my bathroom during my final finals week at BYU and our completed basement?  
So what was the project this time??  
#1) Regrouting the bathroom upstairs- from dear sweet little Winston's "accidents" the grout had been stained an assortment of colors. 
#2) Rug Doctor clean the basement and stairs carpet.  Winston not only likes creating little messes on the tile, but he LOVES the carpet even more.  I was super glad I planned to clean the carpets when I did because the day before Winston was  super sick and had a few accidents while in his kennel.. which got onto my carpet. ewww.
#3) Buy a new bed frame- when we got married we had a beautiful queen bed with frame, but just this last October Lance's aunt gave us her king mattress for FREE! We were so excited for a bigger bed we have been sleeping on it with the box spring resting on the floor until just the last week.  I drove in my little Mazda to Ikea and magically fit an entire KING bed frame inside- doors closed and all. 
#4) CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN- with finals, school work, and regular work my house had been seriously neglected.  It took me 4 hours just to organize mine and Lance's bedroom. Needless to say, since then I have been pretty good about "keeping up" with cleaning so I don't end up with a tornado of a house and needing to take an entire day to scrub one room.  
#5) Paint the exterior- Lance and I have been talking about painting the outside of our house for nearly 2 years and I finally got the time to do it. Our house was built in the 60's as an orange brick and yucky colored (cant even describe the color) metal siding.  So I went to Home Depot and picked out 6 shades of grey and this is the end result after numerous days of painting, and painting, and painting. -Thanks to Lance's cousin, McKenzie for helping!


Step one. Determining what colors.  We chose the top right and bottom left. (I forgot to take a "before" picture, but from here you can see the color difference.

after priming the entire house we began the painting process.  My sprayer broke so we hand rolled the entire front of the house as well as one side.  Getting all the little dots off the brick took 3 coats! (luckily our renter, John, had a sprayer that allowed me to finished the rest of the house)

From THIS......
Before we bought the house... ivy in the front.

To this.......

The (almost) finished product.  Grey bottom, lighter grey top, white trim.

A close up so you can really see the color change.

My shopping companion being so well behaved while the paint was mixing.






What a GREAT break I had doing what I do best.  Keeping extremely busy.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the new house color. I want to come see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so good lady!! You have quite the vision and I an thoroughly impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to leave a comment.