Friday, April 29, 2011

hail, rain, snow, wind... in APRIL???

Needless to say, those who are currently residing in Utah know exactly what I am talking about.  This spring has been absolutely CRAZY!!!  Snow one day, Sunny and 70 degrees the next, followed closely by a day of thunderstorms.  I am not a fan of moisture coming from the sky, hence my love for Nevada, but the weather these days is offically getting out of hand.

On Sunday Lance and I drove home from Vegas with my dad only to hit a crazy storm of hail. It seems as if everytime my dad chooses to travel to Utah, the weather chooses to be CrAzY.  He officially thinks we are nuts for living here. 
On the plus side, having my dad come up for the week meant more improvements on our unfinished basement and remodeling to our outdated bathroom.   You will be AMAZED at how different our bathroom now looks.
The Lou
1- Tile Floor complete- finishing the tile was a little bit tideous because we didn't have an extra toilet to use while the grout and adhesive was drying.  My dad, the clever man his is, decided to hook up our toilet in the basement. So there I was at 11pm right before bed and needed to go potty. I put on my shoes, walked outside and down into our cement unfinished basement and used the potty.  What a weird 24 hours that was.  But who cares!  The tiling is DONE.  Check.

2. Vanity in place- we chose to replace our old vanity because of its little tile counter and backsplash and the new vanity looks GREAT.  It is not as deep as our old one which is kind of a plus because it makes our bathroom look tons bigger. 

3. Wainscoting?- just as I was about to paint the new drywall that I put up behind the toilet, I realized the waterproof drywall was half an inch, and our existing walls were 5/8.  This little 1/8 difference would have made my paint job look less than smooth so we decided to change our plan and put wainscoting up and it looks beautiful.  I'm really happy with our decision. 

4. New knobs-  I refinished the wall cabinet and doors by stripping, sanding, and repainting.  Now they are hung with new black knobs that compliment the new dark vanity.

5.  Light-   The biggest "little" improvement is one of my and lance's favorites.  We were able to move the light switch from the bedroom to inside the bathroom!  Now we don't have to worry about someone switching off the lights while we are in the shower (not that that has happened before ;) ). So far it has only been switched for 12 hours and I have already attempted to switch it from the outside or forgotten to turn it off from the inside 7 times.  I guess old habits die hard right?

 All thats left to due is some trim, paint, and finish tiling 2 walls in the shower.  Lance is waiting until the finished product to feel his sense of accomplishment.  I feel it already!

Our basement-
 So far Lance finished digging his GIGANTIC hole.  I mean gigantic  its 4feet from the house, 6 feet wide, and 8 feet deep.  He's developed "shovelers elbow," had dreams about the hole, and dreaded the thought of spending another minute digging.  What an accomplishment though!!!! The concrete cutters came on Monday to cut the hole for our new window and when they arrived the guy informed me that they could have just cut the hole from inside the basment instead of getting muddy from standing in the hole for 4 hours cutting.  (I waited to tell Lance his gigantic hole wasn't necessary.  He was a little sad).  We have a huge slab of concrete 8 inches thick now sitting in our basement if anyone is interested!?!

Plumbing- after numerous hours and many "darn its" coming from my dad, his portion of the plumbing is complete.  He was able to hook up our tub and (as mentioned above) toilet in the basement. 

Next is the framing, windows, electrical, vent work, stairs, ..... I won't continue my list for it would decrease my sense of accomplishment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to leave a comment.