Sunday, August 12, 2012

Chubbuck Days

On Thursday morning Lance and I traveled up to Pocatello, Idaho for an eventful weekend spent with family.  We started off the trip with a brief trip to Nick's grave site.  Nick was killed while serving in the army 5 years ago.  Lance and Nick are super close in age and grew up as super close cousins so it was a great feeling to be able to take the time and visit Nick.   
 
 Before we even arrived at Lance's aunt and uncles house we headed straight over to the tennis courts to watch his cousins Megan and Stephanie play in the Chubbuck Days tournament.  While we were there, a fundraiser across the park was having a Zumba-a-thon.  I haven't ever seen that many people (outside) doing zumba!  Only in Chubbuck!!  We watched tennis from 3pm-9pm on Thursday with games for Megan, Stephanie, and Lance (2 games each).  
 Friday we slept in and just relaxed at home.  The girls headed down to the courts to start their matches while I took a nap on the couch and Lance watched the mens USA basketball game.  Towards the end of the game we heard a huge noise and the power shut off.  Confused and hearing crazy wind outside Lance went out the backdoor to see what was happening.  Just a minute later his uncle Steve came rushing in very worried and freaked out when he saw the door open.  He told us that he had received a call that there was a fire nearby and wanted to check to make sure the houses in his ward were safe (he's bishop).  We jumped into his truck only to find the fire a few streets away.  We pulled into a driveway with two houses next to a field.  The flames in the field were getting closer to the home and Steve rushed to the door where the homeowner had NO CLUE the fire was happening!  We grabbed hoses and began to fight the fire ourselves.  We watered down all the hay bails close to her fence, but as we continued to hose everything her vinyl fence melted from the heat.  Just as I was getting a little more worried the firefighters came and put out the big flames.  We left her house and went to another field across the street that was on fire and helped the surrounding neighbors put out numerous flames.  Below are the remains from the fire...


 What an absolutely crazy day to be a real life volunteer fire fighter!!

Saturday morning I was a little skeptical when I woke up to a sky of grey clouds.  For whatever reason I got super anxious and nervous about my race.  All prepped and ready to go I Lance drove me down to the starting park.  Just as we pulled in a half our prior to the start it began to rain and gust wind.  I continued to get ready and luckily it all calmed down by the start of the race (it was still super cold... especially in a tank top for the first mile). 

Kind of a funny picture... as we all start our GPS watches to keep track of out time!! haha
I started off the race in the front of the pack, which I'm not sure was the smartest choice since I was running at 7:45 pace to keep up with everyone.  Just a quarter of a mile into the race my body had other ideas of what it wanted to be doing (peeing).... I had just gone to the bathroom 10 minutes before the race, but I guess the nerves got the best of me.. For the first 2 miles all I could think about was "oh i should stop.. there's a tree" at every single house I passed. Finally the group of runners I was with went a little ahead of me and there wasn't another runner for 50 feet.  Perfect! i thought.  I pulled into someone's RV pad and in between the fence and RV was 2 feet of rocks. So I peed... and then kept running.  HAHA. (sorry family of who ever's house I peed at!) 
The run was pretty flat and nice for the majority.  At the end we had a half mile run around the entire park with the finish line visible which made it feel like a forever finish.  Just as I entered the park there were two ladies taking turns pushing a stroller and I didn't want them to beat me so I picked it up and passed them. 
Total there were only 22 women who ran in the 10k.  Most of them were in their 30's and because of that I got first place in my age group!
 Finish time: 102 minutes 55 seconds.
 Directly after the race we headed to the tennis courts to watch the semifinal and final matches.  Lance played in the double semifinal as well as Steve and Aaron (lance's uncles) and Megan and Stephanie.  The men loss in their semifinal match, but the girls won and played in the final match.  It was an absolutely crazy day for the girls.  They played in 3 matches with their final scheduled for 2pm! Super hot!
Steve and Aaron
Lance and his partner
 After Lance, Steve, and Aaron lost their matches we headed home to quickly shower and rushed to Lance's cousins wedding: Kadee.

 They had their wedding ceremony in the outfield of a really nice baseball field at 2pm in the afternoon.  Other than the heat factor it was a great day for a wedding and she looked absolutely gorgeous.
Cousin Casey and his wife Haley

cousins Derrick and Krisitne

cousin Kamie

Casey's son Coen and Christine's son Tallen

Kamie's daughter Emma

uncle Clay and bride Kadee

Kadee and Taylor

officially Kadee Smith!

 After the ceremony we rushed back to the tennis courts to watch Megan and Steph in the finals.  They took runner-up and we headed home to get ready to go to the lake.  The lake was only 30 minutes from Chubbuck, and it was so fun to get wet after a long day of tennis and running.  We tubed for a few hours before heading home.  Going to the lake was my "only reason" for going to idaho! I don't think anyone else was nearly as excited to as as I was. 
At the family reunion a few weeks ago I lost my sunglasses going tubing so Lance's second pair were my only option!



 On our way home we stopped to pick up pizzas.  As we left little ceasars Lance decided to go the wrong way on a one way street just 10 feet to get to a side street.  Just as he went there was a cop coming down the one way.....
We got pulled over and luckily just got a warning!  Thanks Chubbuck for your nice police force!


Sunday was Travis's Farewell talk.  Here are just a few pictures from the brunch before we left Idaho to head home. 


We had such a fun and event packed trip to Idaho.  It was so great to spend time with family and enjoy a break from our busy lives!!  Thanks for the hospitality Chubbuck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to leave a comment.