Saturday, January 19, 2013

Babies, Guts, and Glory

It's official. I have made it through my first week of my capstone.  With 3 days (28 hours) under my belt, which includes 2 deliveries and 2 c-sections I can honestly say that I love the nature of the specialty.  I have learned a lot about the difference in demeanor of a person in labor and in pain to those who are just uncomfortable and wish they'd be in labor.  I've learned a lot of charting techniques and FAQ's and answers to those questions.  I've also learned and grown a lot as a nurse and am less scared to enter the real world of nursing in just 3 1/2 short months.  It is absolutely mind boggling that this is what I've wish and hoped and dreamed of becoming and the countless tears, stresses, and frustrations along the way all make it worth it.  I will be a licensed nurse in May of 2013 and with February just around the corner.

Things I have learned:
  • I love the moment when the baby is out and the mother is overjoyed and in awe that that baby is HER baby. She has such joy and gratitude in her eyes for this little miracle, and that she has the privilege to call it her own.
  • I love the giddy and nervous energy coming from dad who wants no part of the guts and grossness associated with the delivery because I KNOW my husband will be the exact same way and I find it innocent and cute. 
  • I love the first cry, delayed but piercing as it allows everyone to breathe a sigh of relief, knowing this baby's lungs are working and everything is okay.
  • I love the atmosphere, so excited yet so at peace (with an epidural.. haha!).  This little angel is coming slowly but surely and of course on the baby's time table, not any of ours.
  • I love the knowledge, skill, and experience from the nurses I've watched.  They know just what to do and when to do it. Also what to look out for when things go bad, and how to prevent bad things from happening.  It's so intricate and overwhelming the amount of knowledge they have, that one day I hope to have. 
  • I love the blood, guts, and grossness!!! I know. Everything thinks its crazy and weird, but I love the whole process from checking dilation to cutting open a belly. 
  • I have also learned that for whatever reason Heavenly Father has given these mothers and fathers His children and that although I might not agree with His decision, I have to learn to accept His will, for He knows all things.  While it is frustrating to see children born into a family that isn't entirely grateful or they are unprepared with the necessities, it isn't my place to judge them.  
 All in all it has been an amazing, life (literally) filled experience. I'm so grateful for the next 92 hours I get to spend learning and loving the little ones as they enter this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to leave a comment.